The Price of Basmati is an (interactive) documentary about Basmati rice. Coming the Punjab region of India the rice is being consumed worldwide. Farmers in the region use pesticides, chemicals and fertilisers, to meet the growing demand – and to be able to provide for their families. As a result, the rivers and groundwater have become heavily polluted and tens of thousands of people are suffering from cancer, miscarriages and birth defects.
The heart of this transmedia project is an interactive documentary especially made for mobile phones (but accessible on devices) about the lives of people in a small town in Punjab called Mari Mustafa.
Cover photo copyright: Adriane Ohanesian
- National Geographic: De prijs van basmati: witte rijst met een donkere rand (NL)
- National Geographic (NL)
- National Geographic: Fotografe Adriane Ohanesian over werken in conflictgebieden en ‘The Price of Basmati’ (NL)
- Trouw: Hoe basmatirijst India ziek maakt (NL)
- Syre: Basmatirisets dödliga baksida (SE)
- Algemeen Dagblad: Aan basmati zit een luchtje (NL)
- HP/De Tijd: Basmati mythe nu zichtbaar (NL)
- Knack: De donkere kant van basmati (BE)
- National Geographic: Full article (NL)
- EenVandaag: Dutch tv (NL)