The lack of access to technology is an obstacle to development. The digital divide becomes a burden that undermines the capabilities of a large portion of the world's population to overcome poverty. However, in some countries, governments and businesses are implementing strategies to democratise access to the digital world and improve the quality of life of its inhabitants.
Breaking the Digital Wall is a series of three reports narrated through different journalistic and media tools (text, photo, video, maps, infographics, etc.). These three significant and symbolic stories that show how people are reducing the digital divide in these countries.
The concept of frugal or Gandhian innovation in India has given rise to the Aakash tablet, a low-cast tablet procured by the Indian government to help enhance the quality of education. Technology education in Uruguay is paying off with a strong expansion of the video game industry, software and mobile applications. In Egypt, a women's group approaches the problem of technological waste to create new computers. These three stories are the starting point for a new reality with a much larger magnitude.
Update April 2015: Breaking the Digital Wall won:
- TECNALIA Award for Journalism on Technological Research & Innovation (Spain)
- Special mention of Ortega y Gasset Award 2015 of Spanish newspaper El País in Digital Journalism (Spain)
- Longlist of One World Media Award for Digital Media (UK)
- El Periódico de Catalunya: Project homepage (ES)
- Breaking the Digital Wall: Facebook page (IT/ES/EN)
- El Periódico: Norte y sur tecnológico. Derribando el muro digital (ES)
- El Periódico de Catanlunya: La India: una tableta contra el analfabetismo (ES)
- El Periódico: Egipto: El filón de la basura electrónica (ES)
- MO* Magazine: De digitale kloof overwinnen (NL)
- Ortega y Gasset Award 2015, El País: Special Mention in Digital Journalism (ES)
- One World Media Award: longlist in Digital Jouurnalism (EN)
- TECNALIA: Award for Journalism on Technological Research & Innovation (ES)
- SBS Australia: Oltre la barriera digitale (EN)
- Periodistes de Catalunya: La Catapulta Digital (ES)
- Pan Speech: Derribando el muro digital (1). Norte y sur tecnológico. (ES)
- Pan Speech: Derribando el muro digital (2). La India: una tableta contra el analfabetismo (ES)
- Pan Speech: Derribando el muro digital (3). Egipto, el filón de la basura electrónica (ES)
- Innobasque: Anta la falta de recursos innovación frugal (ES)
- Review of "Breaking the Digital Wall" published by Spanish Public Broadcasting (ES)