The rise of Africa depends on its technological development. This is the challenge of a new generation of Africans who are boosting new strategies to democratise access to technology and to improve the living conditions on the continent. Connecting Africa is a series of three reports that shows significant and symbolic stories about this challenge. The common theme of these three stories is connection:
- Connection to solar energy to get power in Kenya and Tanzania. In these two countries different strategies through solar panels and solar lamps have been implemented in the last few years to spread solar power. The goal is to improve agriculture production, education and health conditions in areas without power grid.
- Connection to mobile networks to get a new way of commerce in Ghana and Kenya. M-commerce is the delivery of electronic commerce capabilities directly into the consumer's hand via mobile devices. In Ghana, m-commerce facilitates cost reduction for fishermen, and creates for them opportunities for wider internal and external business relationships. In Kenya the m-commerce has empowered the role of women in productive fabric.
- Connection to Internet to reach the digital world in South Africa and Namibia. "Isizwe"—a Xhosa word meaning tribe and people—is a project for bringing free Internet to South Africa and to connect people for the purposes of educational and economic empowerment. In Namibia, a pilot project called "Citizen Connect" was designed to deliver high-speed and affordable Internet access through unused television frequency, providing critical access to technology in remote and disadvantaged areas.
Connecting Africa is carried out as an interdisciplinary project. For that reason, it is presented through a scrollytelling multimedia where text, photos and videos facilitate a multiple reading of the phenomenon.
- El Periódico de Catalunya: Scrollytelling Multimedia of "Connecting Africa" (ES)
- El Periódico de Catalunya: El vertedero technológico (ES)
- L'Espresso: Agbogbloshie, come si vive nella più grande discarica di rifiuti elettronici d'Africa (IT)
- Folha de Sao Paulo: Gana abriga maior lixão de eletrônicos da África (PO)
- La Nación: Agbogbloshie, la otra cara del desarrollo tecnológico (ES)
- El Periodico: Launch of "Connecting Africa" (ES)
- Review of "Connecting Africa" published by Spanish Public Broadcasting (ES)
- "Connecting Africa" awarded with Premio Rey de España de Periodismo Digital (ES)
- "Connecting Africa" awarded with Premio de Periodismo en Positivo by Journalist Association of Avila (Spain) (ES)
- Al Jazeera English: Connecting Africa (EN)